How We Began
In January 1921, the Wythe Chapel began as an outpost Sunday School. Mr. W. H. Rohrbach, Mr. Alexander McCrea, and Mr. E. B. Eberly from the Session of the First Presbyterian Church in Newport News, VA. with several Sunday School teachers came out to the Wythe Chapel on Cottonwood Ave., Hampton, VA, at 3 p.m. to hold Sunday school classes. Miss Ruth Neff came to play the piano. This continued for 19 years.
On Nov. 10, 1940, the Wythe Chapel was organized into Wythe Presbyterian Church. We were self supporting, and chartered by Norfolk Presbytery (now Presbytery of Eastern Virginia). Dr. W. E. Davis was ordained as the Pastor-Evangelist in charge. We began a building fund and completed construction of our own building nine years later. We moved into our new (current) building in Sept. 1949.